Directions to Ibis Hotel in Berlin from Tegel Airport

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 3 04:14:07 PDT 2016

On 5/2/16 4:55 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/24/2016 1:44 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> The hotel emailed them to me, I presume they know what they're doing :-)
>> so I thought I'd share:
>>
>> Bus 109 to Jakob-Kaiser-Platz
>> Subway U 7 in the direction of Rudow to Grenzallee
>> Cross the street at the traffic light and turn left. The next street on
>> the right is Jahnstraße.
>> On the left side you will find our hotel.
>

> I made it to the hotel yesterday, thanks everyone for the help! The only
> issue was trying to find the 3 day bus pass on the ticket machine with
> impatient locals tapping their toes behind me and telling me there was
> no such ticket!
>
> Just had to click around on the options until I found it.

I arrived as well. I foolishly chose to ignore this thread and assumed
taking the taxi from the airport to the hotel is a proper choice. So I
hop on the taxi and ask if he takes credit. He says no taxi at the
airport does. So I walk to an ATM and get some Euros, then hop back in
the cab. There's no driver/car identification displayed inside and I see
no meter. I ask where the meter is, he says it's on the left (where I
can't see what it shows).

We get to the hotel, he says it's 76 Euros. I'm like, Jesus this is
high. He goes, yeah Tegel is far away from this hotel, next time try to
book the other airport. I ask for a receipt, he handwrites me one on a
standard form with no stamp and no identification.

As I walk to the reception I ask the receptionist what's the usual taxi
price to the airport and sure enough I paid twice the usual. I mention
what I paid and to her credit she makes an effort to call the number on
the receipt and tries to figure out what happened. They say they can't
do anything without a stamp on the receipt so she suggests I call the
police and try to get his plates off of some security cameras. I figure
life is too short to press on, but this is quite the bummer - Germany
was really the last place where I assumed this kind of stuff cannot
happen. In fact it was the reason for which I didn't heed the
non-visible meter warning; something similar did happen to me in
Romania, in a very different era.

Andrei