Directions to Ibis Hotel in Berlin from Tegel Airport

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 3 05:18:36 PDT 2016

On Tue, 3 May 2016 13:14:07 +0200
Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
wrote:
> I arrived as well. I foolishly chose to ignore this thread and
> assumed taking the taxi from the airport to the hotel is a proper
> choice. So I hop on the taxi and ask if he takes credit. He says no
> taxi at the airport does. So I walk to an ATM and get some Euros,
> then hop back in the cab. There's no driver/car identification
> displayed inside and I see no meter. I ask where the meter is, he
> says it's on the left (where I can't see what it shows).
>
> We get to the hotel, he says it's 76 Euros. I'm like, Jesus this is
> high. He goes, yeah Tegel is far away from this hotel, next time try
> to book the other airport. I ask for a receipt, he handwrites me one
> on a standard form with no stamp and no identification.
>
> As I walk to the reception I ask the receptionist what's the usual
> taxi price to the airport and sure enough I paid twice the usual. I
> mention what I paid and to her credit she makes an effort to call the
> number on the receipt and tries to figure out what happened. They say
> they can't do anything without a stamp on the receipt so she suggests
> I call the police and try to get his plates off of some security
> cameras. I figure life is too short to press on, but this is quite
> the bummer - Germany was really the last place where I assumed this
> kind of stuff cannot happen. In fact it was the reason for which I
> didn't heed the non-visible meter warning; something similar did
> happen to me in Romania, in a very different era.

I had originally thought that I might take a taxi to avoid having to deal
with public transit, but when it was mentioned in this thread that it was
something like 40 Euros, I gave up on that idea fast. So, having to pay
nearly double that is extremely painful. :(

Public transit turned out to be surprisingly straightforward. Google maps
gave the correct info (including listing all of the subway stops that you
pass on the way, which was helpful), but the info in this thread was
definitely useful. And I still got lost when I got off the subway, because I
chose the wrong exit. :)

- Jonathan M Davis