Some questions on latest work

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 3 12:54:06 PDT 2016

On Friday, 29 April 2016 at 10:06:06 UTC, Bienlein wrote:
> All right, thanks for the hint. Is there a timeline till when
> this DIP will be implemented?

No; that particular solution might never be implemented at all.
Getting safe reference counting working well in D (*somehow*) is
a high priority, though.

Andrei Alexandrescu is giving the opening keynote for DConf 2016
tomorrow:
     http://dconf.org/2016/schedule/
 From the abstract, it sounds like he will be discussing the
reference counting problem again.

> Also it would be nice if the GC, that does not leak with 32-bit
> D, would be plugged into 32-bit D from the beginning.

Jeremy DeHaan just started a Google Summer of Code project to
make D's GC precise - or at least much *more* precise than it is
now:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/dgvhslayxialmebvjuwr@forum.dlang.org
If he is able to meet his proposed schedule, I expect there will
be a D release with a much less leaky GC in 6 months to a year.