Researcher question – what's the point of semicolons and curly braces?

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 4 08:46:13 PDT 2016

On 05/04/2016 10:23 AM, deadalnix wrote:

> We need to acknowledge that there are system of oppression that keep
> women and people of color out of programming,

Hard to tell for certain, but you ARE being sarcastic/joking about this,
right?

It's touchy, because I've come across people who actually do genuinely
believe the field has things in place deliberately to exclude
women/ethnicities...even though...those VERY SAME people have never once
been able to provide a SINGLE CONCRETE EXAMPLE of any of these alleged
mechanisms they believe so strongly to exist. Not only that, but I've
yet to come across an anti-minority or anti-female programmer, and even
if such creatures exist, they're undeniably var too much in the minority
to have any real large-scale effect on "keeping people out". The vast
majority that I've seen are far more likely to *dislike* the field's
current gender imbalance.

In much the same way programming is predominantly male (or "a goddamn
sausage-fest" as I see it), nursing is predominantly female. So why did
none of US pursue careers in nursing? Was it because we hit roadblocks
with systems in place within the nursing field designed to exclude
males? Or was it because we just plain weren't interested and had the
freedom to choose a field we DID have interest in instead?

Systems DO undeniably exist, for this very field, that are very plainly
and deliberately sexist or racist though...but just not in the way some
people believe. Unlike the others, I CAN provide a real concrete
verifiable example: There are a lot of Computer Science grants and
scholarships for students that list "female" or "non-caucasian" (or some
specific non-caucasian race) as a mandatory requirement. I came across a
bunch of those when I was trying to get financial aid for college. But
there are NONE that require "male" or "caucasian" - it would never be
permitted anyway, they'd get completely torn to shreds (and for good
reason). The only ONE I did hear of was only a publicity stunt to point
out the hypocrisy of all the sexist anti-male grants/scholarships.

Verifiable fact: My sister paid considerably less than I did for each
year of college even though we came from EXACTLY the same economic
background, exactly the same city/town, exactly the same ethnicity,
nearly the same age (and yet she's slightly younger, so if anything,
increasing tuition rates would have worked AGAINST her), and one of our
respective colleges was even the exact same school. And her pay now is
(considerably) higher than mine, and she works in a field that's known
to pay LESS than my field.

Anti-female systems in place? Bull fucking shit. Anyone who claims there
are: put up REAL fucking examples instead of parroting vacuous rhetoric
or shut the fuck up forever.

I've had far more than enough of the mother fucking baby-goddamn-boomers
and GI-generation dragging THEIR bullshit war-of-the-sexes out the the
goddamn 1950's where it belongs and forcing it onto MY 1980's+
generation. I literally grew up subjected to a constant barrage of
"*GIRLS* can do/be ANYTHING they want", never a goddamn word about guys
except to constantly villanize us and demand that we're always the
enemy, even though *3* motherfucking decades separated me from all YOUR
historic sexist crap, so, boomers, goddamn GI's, and the younger idiots
they've infected with their "this is still 1950, and we must war against
the oppressive males" propaganda, hurry up and die so we can finally be
rid of YOUR legacy and the sexism you create and maintain. Fuck the
pendulum, just stop the goddamn thing right in the middle already.
People are morons.