Researcher question – what's the point of semicolons and curly braces?

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 5 08:20:19 PDT 2016

On 05/04/2016 02:29 PM, Anon wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 May 2016 at 15:46:13 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> It's touchy, because I've come across people who actually do genuinely
>> believe the field has things in place deliberately to exclude
>> women/ethnicities...even though...those VERY SAME people have never
>> once been able to provide a SINGLE CONCRETE EXAMPLE of any of these
>> alleged mechanisms they believe so strongly to exist.
>
> Cognitive biases are a thing. People assume women are bad at math.
> People assume black people are violent thugs. People assume Asians are
> savant-level geniuses. People assume Native Americans are alcoholics.
> People assume Arabs are Muslims. People assume Muslims are terrorists.
> Those assumptions and biases dictate how we interact with the world.
> Sociology can describe systems and mechanisms that aren't controlled by
> people or even intentional. People do not even need to be aware of their
> biases. That doesn't make them not exist.

I'm well aware people with those biases do exist. The word for that is
"bigot". And they often DO attempt to project their hateful biases onto
others, believing that everyone feels the same way they do and simply
doesn't admit it. I guess that delusion just helps them feel better
about themselves, or help justify their twisted perceptions to
themselves? In any case, they do very strongly and consistently reject
the fact the rest of us really honestly don't share the same twisted
biases they do, and will never allow themselves to be convinced otherwise.