Researcher question – what's the point of semicolons and curly braces?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 5 08:42:47 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 5 May 2016 at 13:44:47 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 May 2016 at 19:38:45 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> If we want to close all gaps, we should also close the gender
>> gap for occupational fatalities:
>>
>> http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2009/09/occupational-male-female-death-gap-is.html
>>
>> That means 4,000 more women will die on the job this year,
>> make sure you mention that to any feminist pushing those bogus
>> pay gap figures.
>
> Why close the gaps in the first place? Why diversity is not
> good?

Maybe you're asking rhetorically, but I'll be clear and note that
I did say "If."  I'm not interested in closing any gaps, as I
noted that the pay gap is bogus, just pointing out the fatality
gap that no feminist will talk about.  Prisons are also 90+% full
of men (http://www.prisonpolicy.org/graphs/genderinc.html) and
men had much higher unemployment in the recent US recession, as
noted in the fatality link above.

I agree that men and women are different, on average, and a gap
doesn't necessarily mean discrimination.  The NBA and NFL
basketball and football leagues in the US are 95+% full of black
African-americans in a country that is only 15-20% black: is
there widespread discrimination going on against whites?

This recent notion that there must be perfect gender balance or
proportional racial representation across every field of endeavor
is what is ridiculous, and the link above is meant to demonstrate
that, by pointing out an example of where they don't really want
to "close the gap."

On Thursday, 5 May 2016 at 14:32:23 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 05/04/2016 03:38 PM, Joakim wrote:
>>
>> Well, there's the Obama White House:
>>
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/male-female-pay-gap-remains-entrenched-at-white-house/2014/07/01/dbc6c088-0155-11e4-8fd0-3a663dfa68ac_story.html
>>

>> Don't forget Hillary's Senate staff:
>>
>> http://www.ijreview.com/2015/02/257200-hillary-clinton-paid-female-staff-28-percent-less-men/
>>

>> If those paragons of virtue are underpaying their female
>> staffers,
>> imagine how much worse it is elsewhere? ;) Of course I'm
>> joking, since
>> you missed deadalnix's sarcasm.
>>

> I meant specifically in tech fields, esp. programming.
> Naturally, I'm not surprised that sort of thing happens in DC.

Wow, you're literal, I said I was joking. :) Specifically,
perhaps you don't really follow this debate, but those "gap
stats" are calculated in the same way the overall stats that
Obama and Hillary always trumpet are calculated, in a completely
bogus way.

They take all positions across the economy, regardless of age,
experience, skills, etc., lump them all together and come to the
ludicrous conclusion that women are being paid 15-25% less "for
the same work."  Those links point out that if you use the same
bogus approach for their own staffs, _they_ are also paying women
less.  Of course, that's likely because men tend to have more
experience and higher-ranking positions on their staff, not
because they're discriminating against women.  Once you control
for experience, skills, etc., the "gap" shrinks to almost nothing.

On Thursday, 5 May 2016 at 14:59:05 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Perfect example of why all people worldwide should simply be
> destroyed:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M0MW6ON484
>
> Sickening, and not the least bit surprising.

C'mon, that's because they know she couldn't really hurt him and
he's holding back, whereas the same wasn't true in the first
case.  I don't find that one surprising.