Walter's Famous German Language Essentials Guide

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 5 10:06:48 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 5 May 2016 at 16:28:58 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Point taken, though I think the correct term is "phonemic
> spelling". ;-)

Yep. "phonemic spelling", you're right.

> Another issue is that the Latin alphabet, with its dearth of
> vowel
> letters, is really inadequate for representing the extensive
> English
> vowel system.  Modern English has far more vowels than there
> are letters
> to represent them, and in an ideal writing system you'd have a
> distinct
> symbol for each of them.

What about combining existing vowel graphemes? In German you
wouldn't you be able to do the same thing in English?

Mai father was aut and abaut.

There would be nothing wrong with keeping <ou> as long as it
represents only /au/ and not /u:/ "through" among other sounds.

Consistency is important. Spelling should at least serve as a
template:

Sound convertGrapheme(T)(grapheme gr)
{
   static if (T == RP)
     return map!T(gr);
   else static if (T == HibernoEnglish)
     return map!T(gr);
   else
     return to!Sound("Bahhh!");
}

convertGrapheme!RP(ate); // returns /eit/
convertGrapheme!HibernoEnglish(ate) // returns /e:t/