DConf2016 Livestream questions

Vadim Goryunov via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 5 14:51:56 PDT 2016

Question to Liran Zvibel:
Did you (Weka.IO team) consider possibility to write all code in
zeroGC fashion? i.e. pre-allocating as much as possible, using
manual malloc/free for regular allocations or using arena-style
allocator for temporary stuff? If yes, why did you ended up in
using GC.

I have experience writing in zeroGC style in Java. That means no
new object is created during the working cycle: ok to create some
garbage at the start-up or increase some storage arrays of
primitive from time to time, but the target is - GC is not
triggered during the day at all. My expectation is that writing
in zeroGC style in D should be simpler.