Reproducible builds of D compilers

Pjotr Prins via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 6 01:07:30 PDT 2016

At Dconf we had a discussion on creating reproducible builds of
the D compilers. One thing that is required is bootstrapping the
build. In GNU Guix we start from a working C compiler which is a
reasonable starting point (it could have been LISP instead ;)

For D this means that even if all components of the compilers are
written in D we should have a (chain of) compilation steps that
can be initiated from a C or C++ compiler. This is still the case
today, but I want to highlight this point here so we do not lose
that facility.

GNU Guix can be used as a reproducible reference build system
where we capture the bootstrapping process nicely and test the
builds on the build farm(s) whenever something changes.