Walter's Famous German Language Essentials Guide

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 6 04:51:09 PDT 2016

On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 11:22:41 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 11:04:52 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Ok, guilty as charged, but a lot of threads turn into [OT]
>> threads even if they start out as being on topic. This
>> particular thread was never on topic, though.
>>

> This needs to stop.

Sure, only it's hard to tell when exactly it goes off topic.

>> That said, [OT] comments are also important in a community as
>> they bring people together in a more casual way. What I've
>> learned is that people who are into D are a bit hard to tame
>> anyway.
>>

> There is way too much of it.

At least we know that we have real people here.

>> Is it possible to mark a single post as [OT] without turning
>> the whole thread into [OT]?
>
> No. Once it goes off rail, it's gone.

Would tags help a search engine? Like so:

I'm on topic here. [OT] Completely off topic now! [/OT] Again on
topic.

It's unrealistic to demand nobody post anything [OT] within a
thread, and it's not the worst thing either. Small talk sometimes
leads to big talk. Rules (like mark up) would help though. Or
maybe have a section called "D Only" (or something) instead of
"General". The term "General" is too general :)

Question: Is this thread on topic or [OT] now? It started as an
[OT] thread and is on topic now, the topic being "to refrain from
writing anything [OT]".