CPU discussion post-DConf

Anon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 6 16:46:56 PDT 2016

On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 20:32:59 UTC, Assi Zanafi wrote:
> Quantum CPU before x86_128 ? what do you think ?
> I really think that x86_64 is the last "classic architecture".
> Intel will never make x86 with 128 bits addresses. Qbytes will
> raise before.

I don't know which will come first, but QPUs will not obsolete
CPUs and GPUs. QPUs are not just faster CPUs. In a very similar
manner to how GPUs are better than CPUs for some (but not all)
tasks, QPUs will be better for a number of problems, but many
algorithms will not see any benefit from use of a QPU. Future
computers will have a CPU, GPU, and QPU, each used in tandem for
the things each is good at.