Reproducible builds of D compilers

Pjotr Prins via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 7 05:09:21 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 08:53:10 UTC, Thomas Mader wrote:
>> GNU Guix can be used as a reproducible reference build system
>> where we capture the bootstrapping process nicely and test the
>> builds on the build farm(s) whenever something changes.
>
> I like the idea.
> I thought about that too but would not use GNU Guix for it.
> I would suggest to use Nix -> http://nixos.org/
> AFAIK GNU Guix uses some parts of Nix and I think the community
> behind it is not as big.
> There are also packages for dmd on Nix already.
> I also was able to get the ddmd frontent version of dmd running
> on Nix.
> Nix would be the perfect system to base all the testing on
> because it's very easy to distribute entire system
> configurations over multiple computers.
> So once everything is setup correctly and the knowledge is
> there, it makes administering entire server farms pretty
> comfortable.

Hi Thomas! Good news, Nix and Guix can easily be used on one
system. I am a GNU Guix person (for several reason; also used Nix
for years), and I am glad to say that the community is growing
rather fast. Guix is a pretty young project.

I am committed to supporting the D language on Guix (if only to
deploy my own working environments), be great to have the same on
Nix.