Pointer top 16 bits use

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 7 05:32:53 PDT 2016

Am Sat, 07 May 2016 12:02:07 +0000
schrieb Nicholas Wilson <iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com>:

> On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 09:01:11 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> > On 05/06/2016 11:08 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> >> In Dicebot's DConf talk
> >
> > That was deadalnix. :)
> >
> > Ali
>
> Touché.

Too many d's for the day. :) I agree with Benjamin, that we
can't rely on the 16-bits being reserved forever.

I have a question about the lower 3 bits OTOH. The minimal
GC allocation size is >= 8 bytes, right? I.e. if we set the
lower 3 bits to 0b111, and the pointer points to a 4 byte
structure, it will still be recognized as an internal pointer
due to the overallocation.

--
Marco