[OT] Re: How are you enjoying DConf? And where to go next?

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 7 08:05:06 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 01:19:43 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> Yes, my wife went for an interview there out of college :) The
> snow banks were like 6 feet high!

hehe, yeah, we had some beast winters recently too. This last one
was pretty mild in comparison, but the one before was one of the
coldest on record - I don't think it got above freezing once in
the entire month of February, and the snow really piled up. The
year previous had a moderate ice storm followed by record
snowfalls (and significant cold, though it did thaw a couple
times, thankfully).

The snow banks indeed got very tall, typical corner was like five
feet, and where driveway plows shoved it, some were like eight
feet up. (Popular intersections aren't as bad since the city will
send trucks to dump it in the river, but that's just not feasible
to do everywhere.)

And this is why I prefer riding my bike. People call me nuts for
this, but my eyes sit higher on the bike than almost any motor
vehicle, so I can see over more, are like 18 inches off the front
wheel instead of several feet like in a car, so I don't have to
creep out so far to see around things, and my ears still work, no
engine noise to jam them up.

As a result, on the bike, I'm far more aware of surroundings than
in the car; those advantages more than make up for the lack of
mirrors. Moreover, the bike is a lot easier to stop than a car,
there's a lot of advantages.

It is just cold.

> P.S. if it were to be a serious consideration, I'm all for it!

Well, we couldn't literally use my house, it isn't that big, but
I do know people with larger spaces and there are business class
hotels up here... and the little Watertown airport is pretty nice
to use (it only offers service to Philadelphia, but from there
you can change planes to get wherever).

We also have easy access to Canada!

But it'd prolly be completely unaffordable for the Europeans
anyway :(