[OT] Re: How are you enjoying DConf? And where to go next?

Mathias Lang via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 7 12:11:50 PDT 2016

digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>:

> On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 13:10:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> Please curb off-topic discussions and mark them with [OT], yadda yadda
>> yadda. Thanks! -- Andrei
>>

> When people complain about the D forums, they aren't complaining about
> infrequent OT stuff. Random tangents about the weather naturally fizzle out
> after five or six posts and don't leave hard feelings.

That's your POV. And in my POV, the forums are useless for working on D
because of the amount of digressions.
I'm not opposed to a section to discuss whatever off-topic subject is
trendy, but I wouldn't read it. When I  a thread about Fibers, lambda or
templates, I don't expect nor am looking for a comparison of metric /
imperial system, why esperanto failed to take off or the history or the
history of LISP in the 80's.

That being said, I would love the next DConf to be somewhere in Europe,
potentially Berlin (where I live).
I believe Europe is where most of the community is anyway. The question is
do we want the conference to be at a fixed location so planning is easier
and success is more predictable or do we want to favour diversity and move
it around ?

In any case it should be accessible. As nice as the Salt Lake City location
was, it was not easily accessible for everyone. When looking at the flight
price (in November or December), it was twice as expensive to fly to SLL
(from Berlin, using Air France) than to fly to LA / SF. So I'd favor New
York over Boston for example.

Also, people travelling far (and unsponsored) are likely to take the
occasion to spend a couple of days around. For the 2015 edition I flew in
the week-end before, and finding an hotel room was more challenging than
expected since it was memorial day.