Quotes from DConf 2016

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 7 19:25:22 PDT 2016

I've gone through about seven sessions in the archived livestream
videos and here are some quotes that stood out for me.  Share
your memorable quotes, for those deciding what to watch.

"Normally, I'd have somebody in the company say, 'OK, what can I
do in D that I can't do in C++?'

Every time, I'd tell them, 'You can save time.'

That's the big thing with it, and a lot of the code you can just
set up and it just works behind the scenes and requires no
programmer maintenance _at all_ and no programmer boilerplate
code is just insane compared to C++."
Ethan Watson at 1:04:30 mark in
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/86359657

"CTFE is really a hack.  You can see that it's a hack, it's
implemented as a hack.  It is the most useful hack that I've ever
seen, and it is definitely a hacker's tool to do stuff that are
like magic.  But to be fast, it would need to be heavily
redesigned, reimplemented, possibly executed in multiple threads,
because it is used for stuff that we could never have envisioned
when it was invented.

Like, it was more like this accidental thing, 'Yeah, you have
this mixin and you can do stuff with strings' and this feature,
CTFE, just turned out to be so useful and so heavily used, which
was probably never anticipated.  So what should be made better
about CTFE is _all of it_.  We need to reimplement it properly
and then it will be really great."
Stefan Koch at 2:13:35 mark in
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/86364066