The end of curl (in phobos)

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 8 01:33:07 PDT 2016

On 5/8/16 11:05 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, May 08, 2016 02:44:48 Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 20:50:53 UTC, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
>>> But std.net.curl supports not just HTTP but also FTP etc. so i
>>> guess that won't suffice.
>>
>> We can always implement ftp too, it isn't that complicated of a
>> protocol.
>>
>> Though, I suspect its users are a tiny minority and they might
>> not mind depending on a separate curl package.
>
> An alternative would be to move std.net.curl into a dub package.

That would still be a breaking change, is that correct?

I'm unclear on what the reasons are for removing libcurl so I'd love to
see them stated clearly. Walter's argumentation was vague - code that we
don't control etc. There have been past reports of issues with libcurl
on windows, have those not been permanently solved?

I even see a plus: dealing with libcurl is a good exercise in eating our
dogfood regarding "interfacing with C libraries is trivial" stance.
Having to deal with it is a reflection of what other projects have to do
on an ongoing basis.

Andrei