So, About That Official Blog...

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 9 05:31:37 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 8 May 2016 at 20:31:26 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> I would also recommend a static site generator, I currently
>> use Hugo
>> https://gohugo.io/ though it is written it Go haha. Jekyll got
>> really
>> slow after 30 blog entries, especially if you want to do the
>> syntax
>> highlighting offline.
>
> In short: Hybrid site generating :) Only generate on-the-fly
> what NEEDS to be on-the-fly. Only regenerate things when they
> change, not every time they're viewed (unless they change more
> than they're viewed, like maybe an admin-only site webstats
> page, but such cases are rare).

Guys - KISS! During the time we already spent in this thread, we
could have written least five great blog entries!

Therefore +1 for static site generators - they keep stuff simple.
The advantage of Jekyll is that it works so nice with Github
pages and everyone can thus preview the changes on their local
gh-pages branch. Getting the Dlang theme is not difficult, see
e.g. my proposal for to put the DIPs into a github repo:

https://github.com/wilzbach/d-dip
http://wilzbach.github.io/d-dip/DIP86

The DIP Jekyll site builds in ~five seconds (90 pages).
That being said, I like Hugo too.

Btw if we just keep using DDOC (a static site generator), all the
custom macros will continue to work ;-)