Follow-up post explaining research rationale

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 9 13:09:35 PDT 2016

On Monday, 9 May 2016 at 19:09:35 UTC, Joe Duarte wrote:
> One D-specific question I do have: Have any women ever posted
> here?

Yes, I can think of.... three off the top of my head, and there's
probably more that I just don't remember. Of course, I can name
twenty male regular posters here without even thinking about it,
so a skew is evident. I don't want to name any names though.

> The vast majority people who are introduced to programming do
> not pursue it (likely true of many fields, but programming may
> see a smaller grab than most – this point requires a lot more
> context).

I'd be surprised if that point survives scrutiny, though I guess
you need to define "introduced" and "pursue" to say more.

I'd also be surprised if you find an empirical gender gap after
controlling for programming language syntax, too. Even if we
grant that PL syntax is suboptimal, why would that result in a
gender bias? But, hey, you never really know until you actually
collect the data...