How are you enjoying DConf? And where to go next?

Ethan Watson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 10 03:58:01 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 09:19:11 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Are you talking about the whole country or Istanbul? Anyway,
> it's not the average homicide rate I'm concerned with, it's the
> fact that you might happen to be at the wrong place at the
> wrong time when a bomb goes off.

I went to Tel Aviv in late 2012, around the time Hamas were
trading missiles with the Israelis. There was a suicide bomb on a
bus a few days before I arrived.

Yet I still had a much lower chance of being caught in such a
blast than I do crossing the street and being hit by a truck.
Actually being caught in a terrorist attack is a really low
probability. Naively comparing the population of Istanbul to
people killed or injured in the March 2016 attacks puts the
probability of being in that blast somewhere around the same
chances of choking on your food and dying.

Chalk me up as not seeing the point of terrorism hysteria.