The Case Against Autodecode

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 12 17:59:51 PDT 2016

On Friday, 13 May 2016 at 00:47:04 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> I'm not exaggerating here. Python, a language which was much
> more popular than D at the time, came out with two versions in
> 2008: Python 2.7 which had numerous unicode problems, and
> Python 3.0 which fixed those problems. Almost eight years
> later, and Python 2 is STILL the more popular version despite
> Py3 having five major point releases since and Python 2 only
> getting security patches. Think the tango vs phobos problem,
> only a little worse.

To hammer this home a little more, Python 3 had a really useful
library in order to abstract most of the differences
automatically. But despite that, here is a list of the top 200
Python packages in 2011, three years after the fork, and if they
supported Python 3 or not:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110215214547/http://python3wos.appspot.com/

This is _three years_ later, and only 18 out of the top 200
supported Python 3.

And here it is now, eight years later, at 174 out of 200
https://python3wos.appspot.com/