Github names & avatars

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 13 10:45:11 PDT 2016

> On 5/13/16 1:02 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I'll ask again that the active Github users use their own name, and add
>> to that if you could have a selfie as your github image.
>
> Sorry, this isn't going to happen :) @schveiguy is much better than
> @StevenSchveighoffer. Some of us are not so short-name-blessed. I actually don't
> mind if people call me schveiguy!

At least there is a connection between the two names.

Yes, I know some of you are very attached to your github handles. I'm not
demanding anyone
change, I just suggest it is to their advantage to. There are 123 contributors
just to DMD,
my brain is not going to remember everyone's handle vs name vs face.

   https://github.com/dlang/dmd/graphs/contributors

Note the paucity of names and faces.

>> It avoids when people who post as "Fred" on the newsgroup submit PRs as
>> "HorseWrangler" and get annoyed when I don't realize they are the same
>> person, and then I overlook them at the conference because I have no
>> idea what they look like.
>
> Please don't make me learn @dicebot's real name :)

Even the Sociomantic people at Dconf tended to call him Dicebot, so no worries
there!