Github names & avatars

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 13 11:56:15 PDT 2016

On 5/13/2016 11:21 AM, Xinok wrote:
> There are companies which specialize in doing background
> checks on potential hires and they'll dig up every little secret they can find
> about you online.  While you may think an association with D isn't a big deal,
> some people out there can be extremely bigoted and will judge you based on that
> alone.

If some company won't hire you because you contributed code to D, I'd say you
dodged a bullet working for such!

   When I was young, I worried about what other people thought of me.
   When I was middle aged, I stopped caring what other people thought of me.
   When I was old, I realized nobody thought about me.

> It goes both ways as well; if one deplorable individual happens to get a
> lot of public attention and he becomes associated with the D community (oh how
> the media loves to spin a story), it will reflect poorly on our community as a
> whole.

I know this happens in politics (queue Trump's problem with one of his
superdelegates) but I'd hate to tell someone they have to hide their identity
because they are unpopular.

> So no, let's not start using our real names just because you fail to recognize
> some people.

If you feel strongly about it, then don't.