Github names & avatars

Bill Hicks via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 14 18:13:34 PDT 2016

On Friday, 13 May 2016 at 21:10:09 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> I definitely think that having a visible presence on sites like
> stackoverflow and github is good, and if they have your real
> name (or something close to it) with your real photo, it's a
> lot easier to show that it's really you.

If you are white, then by all means use your real name with your
real photo.  Nothing brings more comfort to pretty much all
employers in the industry than the assurance that a candidate is
a white male.  If you are not white, then don't post your photo.
And if you have a non-white name, consider legally changing your
name.  If you have a heavy European accent, and you can't string
a f*cking English sentence together, then you are cute and funny;
however, if you're not white and can't speak fluent English,
somehow you are a subhuman.  So, if you have a non-white foreign
accent, take English lessons to drop the accent.  None of this is
going to guarantee you a job, but it will at least increase the
odds and give you a chance at an interview.

Every now and then, someone writes a blog about how the interview
process is broken.  It isn't broken.  It's doing exactly what it
was intended to do, to keep the non-whites out as much as
possible and for as long as possible.  The tactics used by white
males in the software industry, and their attitude towards
others, is so disturbing and disgusting that one can only give up
hope on humanity.  Besides, if you're white, you have a much
higher chance of getting a raise and move up the ranks,
regardless of your level of technical competence.  I personally
have encountered countless project leads, managers, directors who
are complete idiots when it comes to software engineering, yet
they make more and get to make decisions.

Racism runs deep, and it even has the potential to influence good
fair folks who mean well but manage to say stupid shit without
even realizing it.  Like when Andrei said "generics in Go is like
the N word ... we can't talk about it."  White folks have this
obsession and just can't get over the N word.  They want to be
able to freely express themselves, just like the good old days.
And Why anyone would create a link between the N word and the
lack of generics in Go is beyond me, but this is coming from a
guy who demotes criticism aimed at D as nothing but rants,
something not to be talked about.  Or when he pokes fun at the
Zimbabwean dollar to get a cheap laugh during his keynote speech
at a gathering with ze Germans.  There is nothing funny about an
economic collapse.  The source code of the debt-driven slave
economy implemented in Africa and rest of the world is in the IMF
and the European central banks.  Africa is the richest continent,
but people there are suffering because of 500+ years of
colonialism and exploitation by whites.  But no worries, what
goes around comes around.  Once the economy further contracts,
pension funds are raided, and bank accounts are seized, and the
dollar and other currencies further devalued, the first Great
Depression will seem like a cakewalk to what is coming.  It's all
fun and games until it happens to you.