Please mark off-topic discussions with [OT]

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 15 02:43:49 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 14 May 2016 at 19:34:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/14/2016 9:31 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 14, 2016 13:27:17 ZombineDev via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> Or just unsubscribe those groups from github. dmd, for
>>> example,
>>> doesn't get messages from github anymore.
>>
>> I actually like having a mailing list that gets all of those
>> messages,
>> though it really doesn't work to have it then be used for
>> normal
>> communication.
>
> I like getting the github messages for another reason. There's
> an awful lot of value in those messages. If github goes dark
> for whatever reason, we all have copies of the git
> repositories, that's not a problem. But the messages would
> disappear.
>
> I.e. it's a (crude) backup of the github messages.

But we just store the pushed commits there (aka history) - this
is contained in every git repo and can be easily accessed by `git
log`.
So if having a backup of the Github PRs important to us, we
should have a proper solution that uses the Github API [1] and
stores the issues in a machine-friendly format from time to time.

[1] https://developer.github.com/v3/pulls/

Anyhow I think the idea was to split off the main thread
"General" in different categories like:

- DMD
- DRuntime
- Phobos