Always false float comparisons

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 15 13:49:52 PDT 2016

On 5/15/2016 11:41 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Walter, you keep saying degraded results.
>
> The scientific folks keep saying *consistent* results.

Programs will not produce inconsistent results. You run the same program, you
get the same results.

Scientists know that all measurements contain error. The idea is to identify
what the maximum error is. I've never heard of a scientific experiment that
required a minimum error.

> You might argue they should add "same hardware" to that list, but apparently it
> isn't that easy, or I doubt people would be talking about this.

You're arguing for floating point portability, which is something else again.
Java tried that (discussed earlier) and it was a near complete failure.