Please mark off-topic discussions with [OT]

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 15 21:05:44 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 15 May 2016 at 18:33:45 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 5/14/16 11:46 AM, Joakim wrote:
>> On Saturday, 14 May 2016 at 13:07:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> wrote:
>>> The thread "Github names & avatars" is not related to the D
>>> language,
>>> and adds much traffic to the forum. Please place [OT] in
>>> title when
>>> posting anything that is not releated to the D language.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> It was about contributing to the dlang github so seems
>> on-topic to me.
>> It's not clear what you're trying to avoid.
>
> I'm trying to avoid inflation of traffic unrelated to the D
> language and environment. I agree that Walter's original post
> is on topic but a large part of follow-ups have definitely
> migrated into off-topic territory.
>
>> I posted a link to a
>> much-read article about scripting languages' failures, along
>> with a D
>> forum link that talks about avoiding one big problem he
>> raised, on-topic?
>>
>> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/tvyxljetdhjequhudfpv@forum.dlang.org
>>
>> I think so, though his article doesn't mention D.
>
> I do agree that that's on topic. Leaving to each of us to
> decide what's on topic should work if we all adhere.
>

> Andrei

OK,that should be doable.  If Vlad adds a header at the top of
the General forum that'll show up above every thread, something
like this:

Please mark any post or thread that doesn't reference the D
language as [OT].

Otherwise, people, especially noobs, would have to constantly be
reminded about this.