D mentioned and criticized

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 16 11:25:23 PDT 2016

I had a look at Loci, more specifically the language goals[1]:

"While technically useful, the C programming language is often
perceived as lacking sufficiently powerful abstractions to
construct large and complex systems. For this reason, languages
such as C++, Objective C and D were invented to provide
abstractions on top of the language.

Unfortunately, these languages have significant problems. For
example, C++ and D place undue attention to compile-time
functionality that serves to complicate the source code."

I wonder what they mean specifically. Looking at Loci code, I can
see more or less the same ideas, and a syntax similar to C++ and
D.

The author goes on to talk about C++'s complicated semantics,
which is fair enough. But it gives readers the impression that D
is more or less the same as C++ and thus has the same problems. I
think it's not fair to lump C++ and D together in this way.

[1] http://loci-lang.org/LanguageGoals.html