Always false float comparisons

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 16 11:44:57 PDT 2016

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 15:49:27 Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> My proposal removes the "whim" by requiring 128 bit precision for CTFE.

Based on some of the recent discussions, it sounds like having soft floating
point in the compiler would also help with cross-compilation. So, completely
aside from the precision chosen, it sounds like having a soft floating point
implementation in CTFE would definitely help - though maybe I misunderstood.
My understanding of the floating point stuff is pretty bad, unfortunately.
And Don's talk and this discussion don't exactly make me feel any better
about it - since of course what I'd really like is math math and not
magician's math, but that's not what we get, and it will never be what we
get. I really should study up on FP in detail in the near future. My typical
approach has been to avoid it as much as possible and then use the highest
precision possible when I'm stuck using it in an attempt to minimize the
error that creeps in.

- Jonathan M Davis