D mentioned and criticized

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 17 01:29:22 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 at 01:20:16 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, May 16, 2016 18:25:23 Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
> Well, it's pretty easy to lump in C++ with D given that out of
> all of the successors to C++, D is the most similar to it. And
> while D is definitely simpler than C++, it's still a
> complicated language. So, I could easily see someone dismissing
> D as having C++'s problems if they didn't spend much time with
> it. But I have no idea what the case is with these folks. I'd
> never heard of Loci before you brought it up here.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Ola first mentioned Loci in a recent thread. I'm always in favor
of new PLs and / or ways of thinking. But I don't think it's good
style to mention D in this way while not giving at least some
reasons for doing so. To talk about C++'s problems instead is
misleading. Given Loci's features, the complexity is or will soon
be similar to D's. Just look at the templates. D also started out
as a simple language, but as features are required and added,
complexity increases. That's only natural.

I'll keep an eye on it anyway.