The Case Against Autodecode

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 17 02:53:17 PDT 2016

On Friday, 13 May 2016 at 21:46:28 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> The history of why UTF-16 was chosen isn't really relevant to
> my point (Win32 has the same problem as Java and for similar
> reasons).
>
> My point was that if you use UTF-8, then it's obvious _really_
> fast when you screwed up Unicode-handling by treating a code
> unit as a character, because anything beyond ASCII is going to
> fall flat on its face.

On the other hand if you deal with UTF-16 text, you can't
interpret it in a way other than UTF-16, people either get it
correct or give up, even for ASCII, even with casts, it's that
resilient. With UTF-8 problems happened on a massive scale in
LAMP setups: mysql used latin1 as a default encoding and almost
everything worked fine.