Always false float comparisons

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 17 11:13:06 PDT 2016

On 09.05.2016 22:20, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/9/2016 12:39 PM, tsbockman wrote:
>> Educating programmers who've never studied how to write correct FP
>> code is too
>> complex of a task to implement via compiler warnings. The warnings
>> should be
>> limited to cases that are either obviously wrong, or where the warning
>> is likely
>> to be a net positive even for FP experts.
>
> I've seen a lot of proposals which try to hide the reality of how FP
> works. The cure is worse than the disease. The same goes for hiding
> signed/unsigned, and the autodecode mistake of pretending that code
> units aren't there.

I feel the same way about automated enhancement of precision for
intermediate computations behind the back of the programmer. In the best
case, you are pretending that the algorithm has better numerical
properties than it actually has, in the worst case you are destroying
the accuracy of the result.