Discuss vulkan erupted, the other auto-generated vulkan binding

Manuel König via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 17 13:34:17 PDT 2016

> > What I want to do is to tell dub that erupted should depend on
> > xcb-d in my project's dub.json, is that possible?
>
> I am not very confident with dub, but think that it would not
> work. Maybe you ask in the dub forum?
>
> [...]
>
> Another way would be, and I think I'll go for it, that I add dub
> platform configurations. In your case it would be:
> "subConfigurations": { "erupted": "dub_platform_xcb" }
> which would add xcb-d as dependency and the relevant xcb-d
> modules in erupted.types.d

Sounds reasonable, picking a subconfig is definitely easier to use and
implement. I was looking into that too, the only nitpicking I have is
that it sounded like you can't select multiple subconfigurations. So
for corner cases like having your app support xcb and xlib, a new
subconfig has to be added. But I'll have to try that for myself.

On another note, while I like the creative package naming, it may not
be very easy for search engines to pick up or recognize by potential
users as vulkan bindings. The project is still new, but
gooogle and duckduckgo don't find erupteD when searching for "dlang
vulkan", but they do find derelict-vulkan, d-vulkan and vulkanizeD. I
hope I'm just overanalyzing, but I think having vulkan in the name
would be good. But I see that we're getting out of naming options
here...