Always false float comparisons

ixid via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 18 04:28:27 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 at 08:55:03 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/18/2016 1:30 AM, Ethan Watson wrote:
>>> You're also asking for a mode where the compiler for one
>>> machine is supposed
>>> to behave like hand-coded assembler for another machine with
>>> a different
>>> instruction set.
>>
>> Actually, I'm asking for something exactly like the arch
>> option for MSVC/-mfmath
>> option for GCC/etc, and have it respect that for CTFE.
>

> MSVC doesn't appear to have a switch that does what you ask for:
>
>   https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e7s85ffb.aspx

Apologies if this has been addressed in the thread, it's a
difficult structure to follow for technical discussion. You seem
positive about software implementations of float. What are your
thoughts on having the compile time implementation of a given
type mirror the behaviour of the runtime version?

Fundamentally whatever rules are chosen it would seem better to
have fewer rules for people  to remember.