DMD producing huge binaries

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 19 06:45:18 PDT 2016

> Yep. chain uses voldemort type, map does not.

We definitely need to fix Voldemort types. Walter and I bounced a few
ideas during DConf.

1. Do the cleartext/compress/hash troika everywhere (currently we do it
on Windows). That should help in several places.

2. For Voldemort types, simply generate a GUID-style random string of
e.g. 64 bytes. Currently the name of the type is composed out of its
full scope, with some exponentially-increasing repetition of substrings.
That would compress well, but it's just a lot of work to produce and
then compress the name. A random string is cheap to produce and adequate
for Voldemort types (you don't care for their name anyway...
Voldemort... get it?).

I very much advocate slapping a 64-long random string for all Voldermort
returns and calling it a day. I bet Liran's code will get a lot quicker
to build and smaller to boot.

Andrei