Benjamin Thaut's talk: D's Import and Export Business

Andre Pany via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 19 07:00:54 PDT 2016

Hi,

after looking Benjamins talk I took some time to think about it.
Benjamin made some effort towards a sophisticated DLL suppport
for D.

What I understand: He won't push his changes until "export" will
become an attribute.
But without his changes there is no need to change the semantic
of "export".
It seems like a deadlock.

I tried to find a solution to this problem. For the moment I
ignore the export issue
and have a look at linux. I understand in linux everything is
exported by default.
If it is decided, that this default behavior is changed in the
long term,
there needs to be a way to switch batch to the old behavior.
Therefore a compiler switch "exportAll" will be necessary.

So why do not start with this compiler switch, which will also
export all symbols on windows.
If the changes of Benjamin are adapted to this switch we can
already get the sophisticated
dll support and can later decide on the semantic change of export.

Does this make sense?

Kind regards
André