DMD producing huge binaries

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 19 15:46:02 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 19 May 2016 at 22:16:03 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Using 64 character random strings will make symbolic debugging
> unpleasant.

Using 6.4 megabyte strings already makes symbolic debugging
unpleasant.

The one thing that worries me about random strings is that it
needs to be the same across all builds, or you'll get random
linking errors when doing package-at-a-time or whatever (dmd
already has some problems like this!). But building a gigantic
string then compressing or hashing it still sucks... what we need
is a O(1) solution that is still unique and repeatable.