DMD producing huge binaries

default0 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 19 22:34:15 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 19 May 2016 at 22:16:03 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I very much advocate slapping a 64-long random string for all
>> Voldermort returns
>> and calling it a day. I bet Liran's code will get a lot
>> quicker to build and
>> smaller to boot.
>
> Let's see how far we get with compression first.
>
>   https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/5793
>
> Using 64 character random strings will make symbolic debugging
> unpleasant.

You could simply add a "trivial" version of the struct +
enclosing function name (ie once, without repetitions) before or
after the random character string. This way you would know which
struct its referring to, its unique, and you still avoid
generating a 5 Exabyte large symbol name just to
compress/hash/whatever it.