DMD producing huge binaries

Johan Engelen via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 20 06:16:32 PDT 2016

On Friday, 20 May 2016 at 12:57:40 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:

> As I said earlier, it would be best if can prevent the
> generation of long symbols in the first place, because that
> would improve the compilation times significantly.

 From what I've observed, generating the long symbol name itself
is fast. If we avoid the deep type hierarchy, then I think indeed
you can expect compile time improvement.

> Walter's PR slows down the compilation with 25-40% according to
> my tests. I expect that compilation would be faster if the
> whole process is skipped altogether.

MD5 hashing slowed down builds by a few percent for Weka (note:
LDC machinecodegen is slower than DMD's, so percentage-wise...),
which can then be compensated for using PGO ;-)  /+  <--
shameless PGO plug  +/