DMD producing huge binaries

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 20 06:36:06 PDT 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 09:24:42AM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 05/20/2016 09:07 AM, Johan Engelen wrote:
[...]
> > One obstacle is the hasher itself: I am not going to implement one
> > myself! In the LDC PR, I used LLVM's MD5 hasher and Phobos's MD5
> > hasher.  Perhaps it is better to use a faster hasher (I have no
> > expertise on that; Murmur?), so we will have to carry our own copy
> > of a good hasher implementation. Or perhaps the speedlimit is memory
> > access and hash algorithm speed doesn't matter.
> >
> > I made the hashing optional, with a symbol length threshold. Getting
> > rid of the variable threshold would be good, such that the (few)
> > large symbols in Phobos are hashed too and all will work fine.
> > Perhaps 1k is a good threshold.
>
> I don't see a need for hashing something. Would a randomly-generated
> string suffice?
[...]

Wouldn't we want the same symbol to be generated if we call a
Voldemort-returning function with the same compile-time arguments (but
not necessarily runtime arguments) multiple times from different places?
This is likely not an issue when compiling all sources at once, but may
be a problem with incremental compilation.

"Hi." "'Lo."