DMD producing huge binaries

cym13 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 20 14:09:23 PDT 2016

On Friday, 20 May 2016 at 20:49:20 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Friday, 20 May 2016 at 19:41:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 5/20/2016 6:24 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> I don't see a need for hashing something. Would a
>>> randomly-generated string
>>> suffice?
>>
>> Hashing produces reproducible unique values. Random will not
>> be reproducible and may not even be unique.
>
> The question is: is it actually good for them to be
> reproducible? The very idea behind voldemort types is that you
> don't reference them directly in any way, it is just
> implementation detail. To me it does make sense to apply it to
> debugging too (debugging of deeply chained template types isn't
> really very usable anyway).

It would make binary comparison of libraries and executables
difficult which troubles me as comparing hashes is a basics of
binary distribution security : you can check that a precompiled
binary is legit by recompiling it in the same conditions and
comparing the two. It would be way harder if random components
were added.