Interesting synchronization paradigm: flat combining

Piotr Szturmaj via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 21 07:06:55 PDT 2016

https://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~hendlerd/papers/flat-combining.pdf [2010]

"Traditional data structure designs, whether lock-based or
lock-free, provide parallelism via fine grained synchronization
among threads.
We introduce a new synchronization paradigm based on
coarse locking, which we call flat combining. The cost of
synchronization in flat combining is so low, that having a
single thread holding a lock perform the combined access
requests of all others, delivers, up to a certain non-negligible
concurrency level, better performance than the most effective
parallel finely synchronized implementations. We use
flat-combining to devise, among other structures, new linearizable
stack, queue, and priority queue algorithms that
greatly outperform all prior algorithms."