DMD producing huge binaries

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 21 13:09:19 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 17:34:19 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> Equivalent to not mangling return type at all. But this leaves
> you with 2^^n growth, still exponential. Also is there any
> evidence that compression is faster than hashing?

  Depends on implementation and algorithm. However even the
weakest compression settings can yield huge initial compression
benefits. In normal text a reduction of 2:1 is expected, and will
. The benefit being compression still contains all it's
information, and hashing will reduce the size to a fixed length
but throw away all that information for unique identity.

  LZO is a compressor/decompressor that prioritizes speed and can
be used in real-time applications for very little cost to add
compression to any application. I tinkered with some of it's
options a while back and it did okay, not as good as zlib but
that's to be expected. Although using zlib on it's fastest
setting will likely yield good results too.

  http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/