Need a Faster Compressor

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 21 15:07:27 PDT 2016

On 5/21/2016 2:37 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> Why is longest_match Ω(nm) instead of O(n+m) (e.g. KMP)?

I don't understand the terms you use, but as to the "why" it is based on what I
knew about LZ77 compression. I don't pretend to be an expert on compression, and
this is what I churned out. As mentioned elsewhere, the C++ mangling scheme has
a primitive and ineffective LZ77 scheme built in, so I wouldn't waste time on that.

A quick google search on finding the longest match in a string did not turn up
anything obvious.

If you want to throw your hat (i.e. expertise) into the ring and post a faster
compressor, please do so!