Need a Faster Compressor

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 21 17:52:37 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 22:01:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Give it a try, see if it pans out.
>
> Other possibilities are the lookback dictionary is fixed at
> 1023 characters. Experimenting and benchmarking can indicate if
> it should be more or less. Perhaps 512 will yield just as good
> compression on real world identifier strings.
>
> Or try another scheme entirely, like huffman coding.

  I'm going to try for a lookback and scan which uses quite a bit
of memory. On the other hand you can reuse the memory over and
over again, so that isn't an issue. Although it will take up a
Meg in memory. Also written entirely in D, so...

  I think I'll go with a similar setup you have for the encoding
(3 bytes). Should be nearly identical in output.