Need a Faster Compressor

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 22 02:07:07 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 22 May 2016 at 08:50:47 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/21/2016 11:26 PM, Era Scarecrow wrote:
>> With 1 Million iterations:
>>
>> new_compress: TickDuration(311404604)
>> id_compress   TickDuration(385806589)
>>
>>  Approx 20% increase in speed (if i'm reading and did this
>> right).
>
> It is promising. Need more!

  Well there's other good news. While I was working with about 2Mb
for the data size in general, it can be reduced it looks like to
about 8k-16k, and run entirely on the stack. It doesn't appear to
gain any speed, or any speed gained is lost with better memory
management.

  Although based on how things look, the id_compress might perform
better with a max window of 255 and max match of 127. I'll give
the original one a tweak based on my own findings and see if it
turns out true.