Need a Faster Compressor

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 22 03:55:40 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 22 May 2016 at 10:40:46 UTC, qznc wrote:
> On Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 21:12:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It links to SMAZ:
>
> https://github.com/antirez/smaz
>
> It uses a codebook primed for english text. Since this is for
> name mangling, priming for Phobos might be a good idea. E.g.
> put "std.", "core.", "etc." into the codebook.

  Curiously premaking a few primers as such for languages can give
similar performance with zlib and gzip. I recall back in 2009
doing that when I had xml pages to deal with, it would compress
using all my pages and find the best one and use that. Then
decompression was simply a matter of finding the right CRC32 that
matched it and away it went!

  Although, priming something similar for the current id_compress
for early on wouldn't hurt. 'unittest' I see quite a bit,
probably ones including common templates would help too for minor
compression benefits.