Need a Faster Compressor

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 22 22:52:25 PDT 2016

Am Sun, 22 May 2016 13:02:37 -0700
schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>:

> On 5/22/2016 9:06 AM, Marco Leise wrote:
> > Are there any objections
> > against the benchmarking method or the license?
>
> BSD may cause problems.
>
> > Can the implementation be in D?
>
> Not yet.
>
> > If not, should we link against the
> > system liblz4.so/a
>
> No.
>
> > or copy the C code into the backend?
>
> Yes.

Can you elaborate on how copying the source overrules your
above license concerns?
I would create a directory "lz4" for the sources, compile
them like we compile zlib now and install dmd with a backend
license stating that it uses lz4 licensed under BSD?

> > Is a pre-filled dictionary worthwhile?
>
> The trouble with that is the demangler would need the same dictionary, right? If
> so, that would be problematic.

Right, it's probably more trouble than worth it.

--
Marco