[phobos-review] Persistent object discussion

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 22 22:53:28 PDT 2016

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 09:27:55AM +0000, Seb via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 May 2016 at 01:25:39 UTC, Sergei Degtiarev wrote:
> > [...]
>
> It seems like this review thread slipped under the radar. It is a
> proposal to have persistent (binary) serialization for objects to
> files.  Please have a look at the PR and state your opinion ;-)

This PR has been stagnating in the queue for a *very* long time.  I
can't speak for others, but personally, as a Phobos reviewer, I find it
very daunting to review such a large PR adding a major new feature that
hasn't gone through community peer review or discussion.  This is
perhaps one reason for why nobody has paid attention to it, or rather,
nobody has dared to do anything about it yet. No one wants to take
responsibility for merging a major new feature that's not yet proven, or
with a design and/or API that hasn't been shown to work well in the
field. (It may actually already be the best API, but without actual user
feedback proving this, it's hard to be sure.)

So I think what somebody has already suggested is the best way to go:
make it a dub package, and let people actually use it, get feedback,
prove it in the field first. Once it's proven, and design issues and API
issues are ironed out based on feedback from actual users, then resubmit
it to Phobos and perhaps we'll get a better response then.

Hope this helps.

WINDOWS = Will Install Needless Data On Whole System -- CompuMan