Preprocessing CSS

Thiez via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 24 11:03:38 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 at 17:14:24 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 05/24/2016 10:39 AM, Gary Willoughby wrote:
>> On Monday, 23 May 2016 at 16:04:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> wrote:
>>> Found this on reddit:
>>> http://blog.00null.net/post/144763147991/using-gnu-m4-as-a-css-pre-processor.
>>> I found it interesting because I found it useful to
>>> preprocess our
>>> style.css on dlang.org with ddoc. Somehow that got lost a
>>> while ago.
>>> How can I find the rename style.css -> style.css.dd and then
>>> back on
>>> github? Thx! -- Andrei
>>
>> I just want to throw out there that we would get more
>> contributors to
>> the website were it to use industry standard tools. i.e. Sass,
>> Less, etc.
>
> That'd need to be balanced with dogfooding. -- Andrei

Is ddoc intended to generate css? Do people who have experience
with css have experience doing this with ddoc? Will experience in
using ddoc for css generation help someone in projects other than
D? Does the experience help someone getting a job in the industry?

I'm pretty sure the answer to all of these answers is "no", so
why is this even being considered? And how does using ddoc for
css generation even qualify as dogfooding? If D owned a scissors
factory, would you use those instead of knives when you eat your
dinner and call it "dogfooding"?